What is Brass?
Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. A diverse range of brass can be created simply by varying the proportion of these two ingredients. Brass has a yellow color that is somewhat similar to gold. It is also fairly resistant to tarnishing. Brass has several characteristic properties that make it the ideal choice for art and craft:
- It is a long lasting metal
- It requires little maintenance
- Its color, which is similar to gold, gives it a very attractive appearance
- It can be of varying degrees of hardness or softness. This makes it malleable, and easy to engrave.
- It does not tarnish very easily. Hence, brass handicrafts are very popular in coastal areas.